Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Arboretum Experience


On Monday we took our first field trip to the H.O Botanical Gardens, which is located at the Penn State Arboretum. This was my first trip to the Arboretum. I’m not really an outdoor person but yet I do track and field weird right? I am allergic to pollen and freshly cut grass so most things in nature tends to make me sneeze and it also makes my eyes all irritated and puffy so I try as much as possible to avoid it. I also dislike bugs. I can tolerate them but I prefer not if I don’t have to. I think that I have a love/ hate relationship with nature I’m not totally against it but I will not go out of my way to be encounter in nature.
 I’m not actually sure if I would have gone to the Arboretum on my own. But after seeing it in the fall I can only imagine how beautiful the plants would be in the spring and summer time. I actually did enjoy my experience because it was something out of the norm for me and it was definitely amusing. I think that I actually would bring friends back. The Arboretum is able to captivate the beauty evident in nature.
As I traveled through the Arboretum I saw a huge map of State College engraved in rock on the ground. That was awesome because I was familiar with particular areas that are near my home. Then I started to travel through the Arboretum I saw various amounts of different flowers. Some of the flowers were actually recognizable. Some of the flowers reminded me of the ones that my mom included in our garden back home. When I was younger I used to help my mom plant flower and as I grew up I was able to watch them grow and progress through natures life cycle. More specifically we saw sunflower they were simply beautiful and bold and definitely stood out to me. We also saw rocks that were in some type of formation. I noticed that on some of the rocks you were aloud to sit on them and on others it clearly stated “do not sit”. We went underneath this this arc of flower and when we looked up we saw these oddly shaped fruit and or plants I’m not exactly sure what it was.
Going on this field trip I learned that you could have your wedding at the Arboretum. That would be such a remarkable experience. It one of the most imporatant days in your life and you can experience it in such a beautiful atmosphere. That would be a dream come true. I also was able to recognize the orange mums. They quickly reminded me of the fall. My mom always puts orange mums on our front porch. My favorite thing at the Aroboretum by far was the fountain. The fountain was simply incredible. By standing on the outside looking in it seems like if you stood directly in the middle of the fountain you would not get hit with the water. The angle on the fountain are precise which makes it seem perfect! My overall experience at the Arboretum was definitely fun and one to remember.





5 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed, Rachel! Pretty photos, too.

    Remember to leave some white space between your paragraphs so your readers' eyes get a break.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you talked about the map that was engraved on the concrete floor. It's something that I noticed right away when I got to the arboretum but I didn't even think about including in my blog post! It was definitely one of favorite parts. You also took awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely catches your attention ! I loved it ! and thank you so much for stopping by!
      Thanks again,
      Rachel

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your thoughts on the Arboretum and how you connected it with personal memories. I also liked the observation about the map carved into the rock, which I remember impressed me too.

    ReplyDelete