Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Palmer Museum Visit


The piece that I chose is called St. Sebastian Healed by an Angel. The artist of this magnificent piece is Giovanni Baglione. This work of art was created in 1603 and Giovanni Baglione used oil on canvas as his material.


The piece displays a weak man leaning on his left shoulder with his left arm placed across his stomach. He is obviously wounded and in a enormous amount of pain. A women who is referenced to as a angel in the title is placing a thin stick with a feather on the end of it into the mans right side. She seems extremely confident and calm as if the situation is know big deal whats so ever. Well since she is a angel that means she has faith in God and believes that all thing are possible.


During this time period religion was a big thing and often stirred up controversy. I believe that throughout history we often come upon religious debates and disbeliefs of certain things that occurred. I think that this painting was in order to provide a simple scenario and show the affects of God if you choose to follow him.

Immediately when I looked at this piece I became extremely emotional. This picture made me revert back to ten years ago when my brother got shot. This is by far the most tragic event in my life. But to make a long story short, I remember the nurse leaning over my brother and placing a tube into one of his sides in order to drain all of the blood. In a religious aspect I could say that the nurse was referred to as the angel that helped to save my brother life. I agree with the picture it shows that anything is possible as long as you have faith and believe in it.
 


He seems like he is a credible artist.  He was Italian and an art historian. He created most of his pieces for the church. He is commonly known for is depiction of the Last Supper. He also wrote two other pieces of work.
 
The claim that the piecing is making is that everyone should part take in church. God is able to heal if you trust in him and simply believe. I think that is trying to convert people into Catholicism and or some other religion so the people will be saved. All of his pieces are based on religion, which make me believe that is big on the idea of religion. I think that this piece was made in order to get people to trust in God and confess all of the sins. It also alludes to the idea of helpfulness and togetherness.
 

I actually enjoyed my experience at the Palmer. This was my first time visiting this museum and I plan on taking my dad back one of these days because he loves art. It was definitely better than I expected. There were a lot of pieces that I have learned about previously and it was just amazing to see them outside of a textbook and or the Internet. It was also cool to see new unique or different textures and forms of art. I just applaud all of the artist and there talents.


http://www.wga.hu/html_m/b/baglione/sebastia.html

2 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel,
    I really don’t mean to be snide, but there are some things in your analysis that just don’t set well with me. Are you sure the angel put the feathered stick there, or was St. Sebastian shot by an arrow? I can just Google-search this saint’s name or the piece’s title and I see a lot of image results with him being pierced by arrows. Since there isn’t much to say about your brother’s situation, I digress in the parallel between the two. I do agree that the angel is a healing figure though, and the thought of a guardian angel, or any sort of divine intervention for our benefit is a warming thought.

    I think the painting means to say more than just suggesting the aiding figure is angelic. The wings strongly suggest this is that very concept of divine intervention. Don’t take my browsing for granted, but here are some things I found from the Wikipedia page. I didn’t have much time to look into it further. In short, Sebastian was guilty of Christian worship and converting others during Roman rule, for which he was essentially given a death sentence to be bound and show at by archers. He survives this execution. I think this painting by Baglione might actually be depicting the aftermath of that failed execution with an angel either trying to remove the arrow or prevent it from causing more damage.

    I do like your take on the piece though and it’s encouraging to see you’re finding a relation to it. I think that’s what a big part of art is when it comes to expression and a sort of “sympathy” for the images portrayed in art. Watch your homonyms (homophones? I think) too (i.e. they’re, their, there). This is still a nice reflection of your trip and it’s nice to hear you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to you as well with this picture and what it reminded you of. My uncle got caught in the middle of two gangs having a shootout. He was shot multiple times and still has bullets lodged in him that can't be surgically removed. It's a miracle that he was able to pull through the surgeries and survive because we were told countless times by the doctors that he wasn't going to make it. He definitely had an angel protecting him and helping him get better.

    I like that you gave good background information on the artist. I have seen the Last Supper depiction but I never knew who the artist was so great job at doing that. I also agree with you on the meaning of the painting. Basically, if you trust and believe in God, you'll always have an angel that will protect and take care of you in your time of need.

    ReplyDelete