Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The Art of Track and Field






Art: provoking works produced through creative activity. (Bing Dictionary)

In track and field you run, jump, throw, each of these unique task are consider arts in my eyes. I am a member of the Penn State Track team. Each and everyday we dedicate a few hour of our lives trying to master and develop the skills necessary in order to become outstanding athletes. Normally people would think that if you are naturally talented then you will be successful but there is a lot of hard work, dedication and discipline needed in order to be the best. Track and field can be related to a smart high school student they don’t necessary need to study and they do what they need to do to get by but once they get to college they are just a small fish in a large pond.

 In high school I set goals and it was easy to achieve them because I based my success off of my self-driven enthusiasm to be the best. Now I have entered a whole new ballpark. I have to take a few steps back in order to learn the proper technique needed to make the implements fly farther. Some believe that my success was based off of my strength and determination. But I think that it is more based off of the art with in the sport. Typical everyone thinks anyone can be a thrower or participate in track because it is “easy”. You have to be extremely quick and light on your feet. You have to be able to accelerate across the circle. In the other events you have to develop the mindset that know matter how far you have to run, jump, throw I will be the best. A successful track team is like a puzzle, everyone has to do there part in order for the puzzle to be complete. I believe the art is hidden within you.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Rachel. I like the relationship that you delivered between athletes and students studying. It is deinnitely an art form. Not everyone can do it and be successful while doing so!

    ReplyDelete